Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Catch Hell Blues

Yesterday I went to Barker's student music concert "Coffee House" and I must say it was bounds better than I expected it to be.

The night began with a large group of students congregating outside the hall in both casuals and school uniform, we were let in a few minutes later to find most of the seats had been pushed to the back and two choir-stands set up on the sides of the hall for seating. The hall was quite dark and the concert began with Mark Harding introducing the first band who played an instrumental song to set a mood while the hall filled up. Smitty came onstage and gave some words of warning and the concert was underway.

Surprisingly enough there was a pretty decent mosh and although it was missing some things an authentic mosh has like aggressive people who feel inclined to headbutt everyone who gets near them. Surprisingly enough the most was fairly strong and quite a few people did fall over. One of the best parts of the mosh however was that the people in it were, well... kids, this meant that it was pretty easy to push people forward and backward and there wasn't really an exceptionally aggressive air to the mosh. The mosh was insanely fun and circles formed pretty often. Unfortunately Barker hired security in the form of two insanely muscular 'ethnic' fellows who's jobs were to pull unruly audience members out of the mosh and send them outside for two songs.

I'll spare you the extreme detail of the concert, however the highlights were:
  • The crowd chanting "take it off" to Batchen
  • Robot Rock being played by two guys in motorcycle helmets
  • The 3 year 9 bands being surprisingly good
  • Turbo Destructor's epic song choices (Thunderstruck and Shipping off to Boston)
  • The B-Sides singing the pretty epic Don't Look Back in Anger
  • Soussa being pulled out of the mosh by security and having the entire audience point and cheer
That is all.

____________________________________________________________________
Musical Recommendation: Leopold by Honest Bob and the Factory-to-Dealer Incentives
____________________________________________________________________


I'm on my way
Can't settle down
Stuck in ways of sadistic joy
My talent only goes as far as to annoy
I'm on my way

This is my main offender
This is what I've got and it's got me saying
Why me?

No comments:

Post a Comment